We the People heads to Districts

On Fri, Nov 18, this year’s We The People class will be competing in their annual district competition. Students in this class are divided up into groups of three and each group spends the semester learning a unit of constitutional law.

The competition is each group presenting their knowledge on constitutional law in front of a panel of judges. They put together a four minute written statement based off of questions from their units and must present them to the judges, and after the statements they are asked questions that can cover anything related to their unit. The teams are then ranked at the end based off of their overall performance.

Districts is a qualifying round leading to the next step of their competition, states. There they will compete against teams from the surrounding cities in the state and will be ranked off of their total performance.

The competition will be held in the main conference room of the Howell Freshman Campus during school from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. It will be free for the public to attend.

“It’s hard because there is only a small amount of us, but everyone is working extremely hard so hopefully we will pull through,” senior Abigail Mullaney says. “Hopefully we place well for states this year.”