Haunted attractions

Staff Writer Jackie Keranen prepares for Halloween by writing on major “haunted” attractions to visit this season.

Haunted+attractions

Jackie Keranen, Staff Writer

With Halloween just around the corner, spooky spirits begin to arise in quiet small towns. Many people have come together to put on a scare for the local citizens of Howell.

There are two main local attractions, the Terrified Forest and Erebus.

The Terrified Forest is one mile of terror located in Pinckney, MI, off of Swarthout Road. It is roughly a 40 minute walk. There are two parts to the Forest; the manor which is $9, and the forest that is $18. Attending both attractions costs $25. It is open from approximately 8-12 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, but closes at 11 p.m. the rest of the week. This attraction is not recommended for children under 12.

“The clowns creeped me out so much, I ended up not making it all the way through”, sophomore Jean Heinonen says.

Erebus is a four story haunted house attraction located in Pontiac MI., off of South Perry Street. It is roughly a half mile walk through the haunted house, and it takes an average of 35-45 minutes. From Monday- Thursday it is open from 7-11p.m. and costs $23. On Friday and Saturday it is open from 6p.m.-1a.m. and it costs $28. On Sunday it is open from 6-11p.m. and costs $25. This attraction is not recommended for children under 13.

“The scariest part is when foam balls bury you alive. While this was happening, a guy was scaring me saying he would not stop until I quit screaming”, graduated student Jennifer Keranen says, “Also, the best actors were the creepy clowns on top of the building. As we were standing in line with our tickets, the clowns were doing evil laughs, and the fog machines around us made it so you could barely see the person next to you. The ticket line and clowns set the creepy mood for Erebus.”

From August 2005- September 2009, Erebus was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records as the World’s Largest Walk-Through Haunted Attraction. Both attractions provide security and are there for your safety, if anything happens during the scare. They also recommend a group of six people or less. If you have more, you will be split into smaller groups. Also, group rates are usually cheaper, but you need to check out their websites and pre-order your tickets. Credit cards are accepted online, but cash only at the gates.

No refunds are given if you can’t handle the scare at either attraction. Comfortable shoes are recommended.

Visit the Terrified Forest website at www.terrorfied.com.

Visit the website for Erebus at www.hauntedpontiac.com.