HHS senior night celebrates Howell’s fall athletes

Evan Webster, Staff Writer

It’s hard to say goodbye to the activities you love to do. Everyone wants to hang on to those great high school times and amazing moments you shared with friends. To commemorate all the seniors who have participated and put hard work into Howell High School’s fall activities, a night dedicated to them is the least Howell High could do. Senior Night has been a Highlander tradition and on Oct. 17 the tradition will continue. This weeks last home game for Howell football at 7 p.m. will recognize the 17 senior football players, eight cheerleaders, three pom members, and 37 marching band members, totalling over 60 seniors.

“It’s an exciting time, but it’s also bitter sweet. I’m happy they all have completed their four years of high school, and it’s just a night to remember all their accomplishments because they deserve it,” Howell Athletic Director Mr. Dan Hutcherson says.

Senior Night is a very emotional and heart touching moment in student’s lives. Many students will use this night to motivate them to do even better than they thought possible in their activity they participate in. While the school year is still young, it feels like closing a chapter for some students, especially those on the football team.

“I’m actually depressed my senior high school football year is coming to a close, I’ve had so many great memories playing on the team, but this night will make me realize my high school football career is coming to an end and it will get me pumped up to play even harder,” senior football player Michael Betz says.

It is not just an emotional night for the seniors, but also for the coaches and band director.

“I think it is sad to see all those kids who worked that hard leave, and I hope we can win our last home game with our 17 seniors,”  Mr. Aaron Metz, head coach of the football team says.

Time flies when you’re doing something you have a passion for and these coaches invest a large majority of their time into their players. This is why it is hard to see them play, cheer, and march for the last time. Everyone will be sad, but it is an awesome feeling to see the seniors move on in life.

“I cannot believe the season of marching is almost over, but I’m glad I still get to spend another three fourths of the year with my 37 seniors” Band director Mr. Jason Smigell says.

This whole night is a lot to put together and it is made possible by the dedicated parents of each team and club. Many parents are in fact parents of juniors, this is a way to say thank you to parents of the seniors. With all the hype about this night it is sure to be an emotional and heart-touching time. Help say goodbye to the seniors by attending senior night this Friday.