Howell breaks into the world of robotics

Devery Jakubos, Staff Writer

The S.C.O.T.S Bots–more commonly known as the robotics team–were formed in late 2012 by a team of seven students and seven mentors, who were working at the GM proving grounds along Brighton’s robotics team B.U.G.

“The club has been around for three years now and started off with only a few kids and has grown to about 30 members this year. Each year the team becomes stronger and stronger with the addition of more students and mentors that makes it all possible,” sophomore team member Nolan Walter says.

The robotics team meets every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. as well as Wednesdays 2:30 to 4:30.

“A normal day consists of about five things. First, we have a brief rundown of what needs to happen. Second, the team gets to work on whatever their subgroup needs accomplished, which could be building, programming, business, etc. Third, we will take a break and have a team meal or something of that sort. Fourth, we will clean up our work space which is the shop/CAD room. Finally, we will conclude the day with a short catch up,” Walter says.

Mr. De La Iglesia, or Mr. Del, is the teacher behind the team. His job is to oversee the team and make sure everything is running smoothly.

“I think of him more as the head mentor, but I think he is doing a really great job at keeping us up to par, and overall I enjoy having him on the team,” Walter says.

The team takes part in many events and competitions. The most recent of which being the competition hosted by Howell at Parker Middle School which was on the 27th and 28th of February. About 40 teams attended the event.

“One of my fondest memories was last year when our team hosted a competition at Parker Middle School. All of our hard work we put into our robot finally paid off. It was spectacular seeing our robot compete with other teams out on the playing field. Throughout the entire day, I remember feeling a great sense of accomplishment, which to this day has managed to be the vivid memory I have had thus far,” Walter says.

For the most recent competitions, each team had 6 weeks to construct a functional robot. The team will go to Mason sometime before spring break to take part in another competition.

“I had some great memories travelling with the team. We always had fun at the competitions no matter what we placed. There was always a feeling of teamwork and accomplishment,” sophomore former member Jarrid Bonk says.

Throughout its short life, the club has grown tremendously and is beloved by its members and faculty alike. Many students continue to come back as well as new members each year.

“I have had some great memories in the club as I’m sure anyone else has too. I would strongly recommend joining. It truly is something you will remember all your life,” Walter says.