New life for Ender’s Game

ENDER'S GAMEBy Staff Writer: Jada Boprie

After 36 years of existing in yellowing paperbacks and faded print, the classic story Ender’s Game has made it to the big screen. Originally a novel written by author Orson Scott Card, director Gavin Hood decided the story needed to be revived. The book was first published in 1977 as a short story and later became a novel. It is known as one of the most popular and influential science fiction stories in the last quarter century.

In the book, Andrew (Ender) Wiggin is recruited to train at Battle School, which is located in outer space, for the International Military to become a soldier. Students are trained rigorously to prepare for a battle between humans and an alien species. While many children are recruited, Ender, at the age of six, is younger, smaller, and by far the brightest.  The story follows Ender as he learns how to use his genius to become a military commander, and as he is troubled by issues that relate to everyone, fitting in, missing his family, and self-doubt.

The movie is quite loyal to the original story. Most of the major events and characters are in the film, and much of the script was taken directly from the novel. However, like many books made into film, Ender’s Game is missing a few events that are prevalent in the story. This includes most of what happens with Ender’s brother and sister back on Earth. This might have been a good call, as their presence could have interrupted the rest of the plot. But the movie is also lacking the intense connection between Ender and his siblings. Anyone who hasn’t read the book wouldn’t have missed this, but it does make the movie lack depth of emotion.

The movie contains outstanding special effects. Students at the Battle School are split into separate armies so that they can practice fighting one another.  Much of Ender’s training takes place in an enormous zero-gravity battle room, where he practices military formations with his fellow soldiers. The producers completely nailed this aspect of the movie. Ender’s ingenious ideas and the exciting battles are perfectly executed in the film.

Ender’s Game is pulled off by a great cast. This includes Asa Butterfield as Ender, Harrison Ford as Colonel Graff, and Hailee Steinfeld as Ender’s friend Petra. Asa Butterfield in particular must be commended for his performance. The 16-year-old, who also stars in Hugo and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, pulled off the character Ender excellently, reflecting Ender’s emotions and intelligence. He makes the movie much more than just another science fiction film.

Even though some hard-core science fiction fans and people disagree with (the original author of the story) Orson Scott Card’s political viewpoints, and therefore are bashing the movie, on opening weekend it still raked in more than $27 million. Watching Ender’s Game in the theatre is highly recommended. Up close, the mind-bending special effects and music are electrifying.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE&w=560&h=315]