New season brings another round of high school sports

BaseballBy Staff Writer: Travis Waker

Spring sports tryouts start March 10 and Howell High School is sure to have some very competitive teams this spring.

The baseball team is going to be very strong this year, coming off back to back Final Four appearances in the playoffs.

“We have some very strong senior leadership and experience coming back this year led by James Edwards, Darren Ford and Nathan Holmes. Alex Duffy and Patrick Wagner are going to be great on the mound for us this year,” says head coach Jason Ladd.

The consensus among the players is that the senior leadership will come from Edwards in the middle of the lineup, Duffy on the mound and Ford both on the mound in the outfield. The junior class will have some strong players as well led by third baseman Joe Corsten and Austin Polo.

Much of the experience is returning from a team that went 33-8, which is an .805 winning percentage. The team came close to winning a state title before they lost in the Final Four to a talented Birmingham Brother Rice squad, 5-0. Howell baseball has a strong pitching rotation and a strong lineup up and down, and they, without a doubt, will contend for a state championship in June.

Howell softball promises to have a strong team as well. “I’m really excited about the prospects for this year’s team. A good portion of the team has been working hard in the offseason and while it appears we will be young, there is a ton of talented players,” says head coach Paul Bushong. Bushong is also looking for senior leadership and he believes that both Danielle Hamilton and Melisa Banzany will provide that leadership. “As a coach, you are always looking for strong leaders in your senior class and both Bazany and Hamilton are showing that they are that type of student athlete. I think those two are going to have outstanding years and will lead us to where we want to be,” says Bushong.