Is Daylight Savings Time affecting your health?

By Managing Editor: Amber Carnahandayling savings

The concept of Daylight Saving Time is a recurring subject throughout the world for about a hundred years. According to timeanddate.com, ancient civilizations would practice a similar process by adjusting their daily schedules in line with the sun. Some often get confused as to what daylight saving time actually is, and whether we are losing an hour or gaining an hour. Daylight Saving Time is the changing of standard time in order to better use daylight by having the sun rise an hour later and set an hour later. While the idea of Daylight Saving Time has been in existence throughout history, it wasn’t put into practice until World War I in order to save fuel for the war effort. Despite the success and usefulness of daylight saving time, it has been questioned whether the time shift affects our sleeping habits, and even our overall health.

Sleep is greatly affected by the time shift. Everyone has their own circadian rhythm, or a 24-hour natural cycle, that they form their daily routines around. According to WebMD, moving our clocks in either direction also affects our internal clocks and we become out of sync with our natural day-night cycle. The effect of Daylight Saving Time is very similar to that of travel between different time zones. The magnitude of the effect depends on how well one can adjust their internal clocks.

“I already don’t get a lot of sleep as it is,” says Howell High School junior Liliana Fleming. “Between school, homework, and stress, it is very difficult.”

For some, it may be easy to bounce back after losing an hour. However, if someone is already sleep deprived or an insomniac, the effect of the lost hour will be greater. The consumption of caffeine close to bedtime can cause the resulting sleeplessness to be worse. This loss of sleep can also result in a loss of productivity.

While Daylight Saving Time does affect sleeping habits, it isn’t the only factor. In order to better adjust to the time shift, one should practice a healthy bedtime routine. Getting seven to eight hours to sleep helps insure that the sleeper feels refreshed in the morning. While Daylight Saving Time may impact this at first, eventually the internal clock will adjust and the daily routine can get back to normal.

Despite throwing us off our usual routine and causing some to be grumpy from lack of sleep, Daylight Saving Time doesn’t have to be a negative. After adjusting your internal clock, it’s easy to become productive again and to enjoy the bonus hour of sunlight.

“Daylight Saving Time is something I’ve grown used to throughout my life,” says HHS senior, Danielle Campbell. “That lost hour of sleep leaves me lethargic and unmotivated, but after a few days I become acclimated to the time change and love the extra hour of sunshine!”