Justice League is a ‘super’ disapointment

Julia+Orlando
Julia Orlando

Julia Orlando

Julia Orlando

Aedin Seck, Copy Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 17, DC Comics released their highly anticipated Justice League movie. Starring iconic heroes, fans around the world excitedly awaited the film’s release. Unfortunately, box office sales came in below the expected mark, falling just short of $100 million.

The film follows Bruce Wayne (played by Ben Affleck) and Diana Prince (played by Gal Gadot) as they assemble a team of heroes to save the world after Superman’s (played by Henry Cavill) death. Faced with a new and powerful villain by the name of Steppenwolf (played by Ciarán Hinds), Batman and Wonder Woman recruit Aquaman (played by Jason Momoa), The Flash (played by Ezra Miller), and Cyborg (played by Ray Fisher) with hopes to defeat the mighty foe.

The Justice League of America is a timeless team. The League has always had an influence in teaching people young and old that it is important to work together. In the movie, however, it seemed like all the members were always against each other. The heroes were constantly at each other’s throats over petty disagreements that didn’t seem to fit the personalities of the original comic book team, who were once called The Super Friends.

As a lifelong fan of the original League, the characters themselves were subpar. Still riding high from the Wonder Woman origin film, Diana was the only character who seemed to fit her original role. Every other hero seemed to miss the mark.

The original Aquaman was known for being a kind hearted and humble king of the sea, but the movie’s portrayal of him came off as arrogant and irritating. Though Batman is known for his silence and distant emotions, this Bruce Wayne seemed angry, defensive, self-loathing, and a little colder than usual. As one of the new characters, and one of my personal favorite heroes, The Flash had a wide open window to fulfill fan’s expectations as an excited, fun loving, and goofy hero. Unfortunately, he felt shaky and confused with an utter lack of his usual unwavering confidence. Finally, Cyborg’s character was decently similar to the original, but didn’t really belong with the members of the original League.

If fans of the original Justice League of America are looking forward to this new movie, they will most likely walk out of the theatre disappointed. Cheesy one-liners, irritating personalities, and a thin plot made for a frustrating film. Not to mention the absent classic members of the League including The Green Lantern and The Martian Manhunter. Although it wasn’t all bad, there’s not much to write home about either. The movie had lots of potential, but was nothing special. It was simply—fine. I would rate Justice League 2.5 stars out of 5.

• Justice League is a ‘super’ disapointment

Arts and Entertainment

Anticipation for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Arts and Entertainment

How Thor: Ragnarok became Marvel’s funniest movie yet

Arts and Entertainment

Addam’s family moves to the HHS stage

Arts and Entertainment

Storm of predictability in 109 minutes

Arts and Entertainment

Dead again… and again… and again

Arts and Entertainment

10 DIY costumes to get spooky with this Halloween

Arts and Entertainment

New “It” is worth every “Penny”

Arts and Entertainment

The anticipation behind John Wick: Chapter Two

Arts and Entertainment

Rings let down The Ring franchise

Arts and Entertainment

La La Land: a timeless masterpiece