Don’t sweat the SAT

Missy Scharaswak, Staff Writer

Spring at Howell High brings about students wearing less layers, enjoying the warmer weather, and dreading the long wait until school lets out for summer. However, spring doesn’t just bring joy at Howell High. For the students taking AP classes and SAT’s, spring will be filled with studying for their exams in April and May. SAT testing is April 9th, and here are some ways students should plan to study.

Familiarizing oneself with the test structure, instructions, and the types of questions that students will be asked on the SAT is a great way to kick-off studying for the standardized test. Buying a SAT Review book or simply looking online for SAT reviews is a good way of studying the test structure, instructions, and questions. The Princeton Review for the PSAT/SATs is one review book for preparing for the exam.

Preparing a schedule to follow is a sure fire way to prepare for the SATs. Studying for 15 minutes a day in basic subjects such as mathematics and grammar is a good plan as well as studying new vocabulary for another 15 `minutes. Setting aside time to take a practice test is always good to assess the skills, calculate the scores, and compare them to future practice tests to see how far you’ve advanced.

Practicing writing skills for the short answer, long answer, and essay-based questions is a great way to prepare for the written section of the SAT. Acquiring a list of the recommended books for the exam and looking through them is a way for preparing for the reading comprehension part of the exam. Books that should be read include: “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen, “The Three Musketeers” by Alexandre Dumas, and “Catch-22” by Joseph Heller.

Remember to read recommended books from a SAT book list, advance on vocabulary, and practice on math and grammar for at least 15 minutes each day. And although practicing is important, relaxation is also an important part of preparing for the SATs. Remember to get a good night’s worth of sleep before the day of the exam and eat a healthy breakfast. Energy and relaxation are important parts of being prepared for the SAT exam.