Powder Puff means more to students this year

IMG_4337-1024x682By Staff Writer: Alexis Klask

Howell traditions never cease to fail when it comes to the week of Homecoming. Each year a game called Powder Puff, which is when the boys are cheering on the sidelines and the girls are running the plays, takes place.

Girls are responsible to come up with plays in order to beat their opposing team and are representative of each grade level at the high school. Boys, with the help of a dance coach from their grade level, must make up a routine for the halftime of their belonging football game.

It always takes place on the Wednesday during Homecoming week and the freshmen versus sophomore game will begin at six thirty at night. The junior versus senior game follows right after starting at seven at night.

“I’m obsessed with Powder Puff,” Laura Meisel, senior player, says.

This is her fourth year competing in the game and when asked about her favorite part about Powder Puff, she feels that it’s great because the whole team really meshes together.

She admits that when she was a freshman playing she was very intimidated by the upper classmen, however now she tells under classmen to just have a good time.

“I mean it’s not really that serious and it’s definitely more fun for my senior year,” Meisel says.

Another senior that has participated all throughout their high school career is Chris Pryslak. He has been a cheerleader all four years and wouldn’t have it any other way.

According to Pryslak, in his freshmen year only five cheerleaders were representing class of 2014. This year there are twelve cheerleaders and he claims that the student body is in for a great show.

“You’ll be staring at our butts quite a bit,” Pryslak says.

The seniors this year have won the cheerleading competition between grade levels for the past two years and are hoping to go out with a bang and win the last one.

Last year’s routine was so good that the Pryslak and his team members were able to perform at a Pep Rally during school hours.

“It’s hilarious to watch the guys perform,” Danielle Boss, coach of the senior cheerleaders, says.

Boss has coached for the past two years and being a dancer herself, she is able to choreograph comedic and legitimate dance moves for the boys. This year, Boss and her cheerleaders are hoping to top last year’s performance to ensure that it will be the best one yet.

Competition this year for the senior cheerleaders may very well be the class below them. I spoke with junior student Cal Laituri and he claims that the routine this year is going to be swell.

“You can expect embarrassment and questionable sexuality,” says Laituri.

Alongside the juniors, sophomores are hoping to make an impression and according to Brad Albrant, he does not mind embarrassing himself.

“It’s gonna be interesting,” Albrant says.

This year should be interesting given that both the junior and sophomore class will have five cheerleaders competing against twelve senior cheerleaders.

As far as the actual game goes, Jocelyn Marsack, junior, is confident that her team will beat the seniors. She will be playing the wide receiver and with a coach like Collin Evans (junior) they may have a chance.

When asked why he wanted to coach the junior girls Powder Puff team, Evans says, “I know too much about football.”

Evans devotes his time out of school to prepare his team by designing offensive and defensive plays.

“We’re going to win. I’ll find a way,” Evans says.

A rivalry has started to take place this year and the main question is; are the seniors going to win? It will be a tight and interesting game to watch. In the end all that matters is that students, under and lower classmen, have come together to enjoy a night of spectacular entertainment.

“Prepare for war, winning, and senior power,” says Meisel.