Fall television shows draw in teen viewers

tvBy News Editor: Kayla McClain

The transition back from summer to fall can really take a toll on teenagers. Many aspects of the tranquil vacation are taken away from them, such as sleeping in until noon, but more importantly, their beloved summer television shows. Luckily, they do not have to go through the stressful school year without some relaxation.

Usually every year there are big-hit series on in the summer. There was the new series Graceland, along with the annual largest talent show, America’s Got Talent, and Stephen King’s novel-based, Under the Dome. These shows were rich in advertisements for the younger viewer. It was a wonderful time until fall hits once more, and their seasons have ended. (Not canceled, just took a break until next summer.)

Teens have come to love these shows, so now what will they do to procrastinate doing math homework? Not to worry. There is still hope for entertainment in students’ lives.

According to the TV Guide website, below are several new shows that are premiering this fall.

1. The Blacklist

2. The Goldbergs

3.The Hostages

4. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

5. Masterchef Jr.

6. The Michael J. Fox Show

7. The Million Second Quiz

8. Mom

9. Sean Saves the World

10. Sleepy Hollow

The two shows that are returning for a new season, however, are How I Met Your Mother and Once Upon a Time.

Once Upon a Time is in its the third season, which is about all the fairytale stories most children have heard growing up, such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and twisting them all into one. The first season’s main plot was that there was a curse cast by the Evil Queen, Regina, and all fairytale characters were sent to live in a town in the mortal world called Storybrooke. Henry, a main child character, lives in the real world with Regina and knows about the curse. The third season is about saving Henry, for he was kidnapped by the villains Tamara and Greg and taken to Neverland. What brings them to Neverland? You’ll have to watch and see.

Junior Cassie Stewart who attends Howell High School is excited to see what is next. Stewart comments with a sly smile on only one part she is thrilled to see most about the new season.

“Hook,” Stewart says.

This is referring to Captain Hook, another character brought to life from the well-known story of Peter Pan. Whether her anticipation is because of his daring attractive looks, or because he is her favorite character, Stewart will definitely be watching.

As for Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Stewart also stays in touch with this new action.

“It’s really cool,” Stewart says. “It’s like, anything by Joss Whedon rocks my socks.”

Quoting one of the leads from the show, Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother has been a “legendary” hit for eight years, this fall being the final season. The course of the show has its lead character, Ted Mosby, telling his two children the story of how he met their mother, hence the title. Don’t let the romance throw teens off, because it is mostly a comedy.

“I guess I like the fact that they break a lot of boundaries, and they kind of just go for it,” Stewart says, commenting on How I Met Your Mother.

Junior Hannah Gravelle has seen the show a few times, and even she has positive feedback for it.

“It’s a pretty funny show,” Gravelle says. “I like New Girl more though.”

Senior Garret Murphy is more into the realistic action and drama of The Blacklist.

“I’ve seen the first episode and it actually got me hooked right away,” Murphy says. “I like that it’s kind of based on a serial killer, and ‘if you want his list, you have to play by his rules’, as he says in the first part. It leaves you with suspense.”

Both Gravelle and Murphy agreed that if you’re going to watch any reality show, watch The Voice.

“I watch it with my parents like every single night,” Gravelle says. “We record it and just watch it. It’s a pretty good show.”

“Oh, I’ve seen The Voice too,” Murphy says. “It’s good, but I kind of like more of the America’s Got Talent. I’m not into the singing, but I like watching auditions, seeing everyone suck. But I love Wilfred. Wilfred is awesome.”

There you have it, Howell High. Find a show you like, and you can survive this school year. But because there are so many options, Gravelle has advice to make the best of anyone’s television-watching experience.

“Don’t watch too much T.V.,” Gravelle says.