A final look back at what made 2013 a year to remember

By Staff Writer: Kate Bauer

It’s finally December, and another year has come and gone. With only 365 days to make a lasting impression, 2013 didn’t disappoint by giving us plenty of memorable events to add to our history books. In celebration of the year coming to an end, here are some of the top events of 2013 to remember.

President Obama was Inauguration for his second term (January 21)

President Obama was sworn into office for his second term on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. To symbolize his stress for equality, the president used Dr. King’s bible as well as Abraham Lincoln’s bible to take the oath of office. He was also the first president to use the word “gay” in his Inaugural Address when he compared the battle for same-sex marriage to past battles over equality.

Catholics celebrate a new pope (March 19)

Pope Benedict XVI retired from his position on February 28, being the first pope to do so since 1415. He cites that advancing age and physical weakness were the reasons for his retirement. Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina was elected the 266th pope, becoming the first pope from Latin America. He chose the name Francis.

Boston Marathon bombings (April 15)

Americans were left speechless after two bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The attacks left hundreds of casualties among racers and bystanders and a country in fear of following terrorist attacks. President Obama made multiple speeches addressing that the people behind the attacks will be brought to justice.

Edward Snowden leaks NSA information (June)

Former CIA employee, Edward Snowden, confirms the fears of Americans and reveals that the National Security Agency is using PRISM to spy on the internet activity of citizens. Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg and Google’s Larry Page both deny any knowledge of the PRISM, but President Obama confirms the existence and the spying of online activity. This event caused major controversy in the United States and citizens had little trust in their government.

Supreme Court strikes down DOMA (June 26)

Across the country people celebrated the Supreme Court’s ruling that the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional. The court ruled that the law interfered with the states’ rights to define marriage. It was the first case of gay marriage ever to be taken on by the Supreme Court.

George Zimmerman Not Guilty (July 13)

A jury in Florida found George Zimmerman, a 28 year old neighborhood watch coordinator, not guilty of murdering Trayvon Martin, a 17 year old African American high school student. Zimmerman argued his actions were of self defense, and he found innocent. The court case caused racial controversy across the country. *quote

“Glee” says goodbye to Finn Hudson (July 13)

“Glee” star Corey Monteith, 31, was found dead in a hotel in Vancouver. Autopsy reposts announce the death was accidental and caused by a mixed drug overdose. The Fox show dedicated a remembrance episode to the beloved actor as a final farewell.

The return of Twinkies (July 15)

Shoppers and cake lovers around the world were heartbroken as Hostess went out of business in 2012. However, their grief was short lived because Twinkies and other Hostess snack cakes were put back on the shelves this summer.

Detroit files for bankruptcy (July 18)

The city of Detroit filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in federal court, becoming the largest U.S. city to do so. The claim laid the groundwork for a historic effort to bail out a city that is sinking under billions of dollars in debt and decades of mismanagement, population flight and loss of tax revenue.

Prince George of Cambridge (July 22)

The United Kingdom celebrated the birth of a royal baby boy when Prince William and Princess Katherine, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, announced the birth of their son Prince George.  Though joyous of a boy, the UK parliament made preparations for the birth of a girl, passing “An act to make succession to the Crown not depend on gender, to make provision about Royal Marriages, and for connected purposes” (Succession to the Crown Act 2013) which guaranteed the throne to the child regardless of gender.

Nelson Mandela Dies at age 95 (December 5)

South African prisoner-turned-president passed away at the age of 95 after a lung infection and several months of ill health. Mandela’s greatest accomplishment was unifying South Africa ,and he pushed for reconciliation between blacks and whites in the post-apartheid era. His death is mourned all over the world.

Syrian Civil War

The Syrian conflict has been growing in intensity and scope for more than two years, with the United Nations estimating more than 100,000 dead and millions displaced. US officials were said to be studying a plan to increase support for rebels fighting to remove the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad from power. The question as to send troops to Syria troubled Americans everywhere.

Miley Cyrus causes continuous outrage

One of the most memorable transformations from 2012 to 2013 would be Miley Cyrus’ switch from Disney girl to edgy musician. With dramatic haircuts, costumes, and lyrics, Miley has become a controversial topic among adults and teenagers. Whether she is viewed as independent and edgy, or trashy and tasteless, she is one of the most talked about people across the country.

It seems as though 2013 was only with us for a short period of time, but it has certainly made its mark in history with some truly unforgettable events.