An assembly that is actually worth going to

Photo originally posted on Howell Schools District Page

By Staff Writer: Alexis Klask

Due to uncontrollable weather which caused a snow day, students at HHS missed out on an assembly before going on winter break. Luckily, it was possible to reschedule, and next Wednesday and Thursday, speaker Jim Tuman will put on a program for students titled “The Best Things in Life Aren’t Things.”

He puts focus on different factors that affect student life which include their friends, families, teachers and community. He puts out a lot of energy in his speeches and encourages students to become leaders in their school and to help create a more compassionate school culture. He makes sure to hit points such as; peer pressure, self-esteem, bullying, and how choices students make can affect others.

Alongside with his student presentation he also does a parent presentation called, “Taking the Fear out of Parenting.” This program provides tips on how parents can better communicate with their children as well as addressing parenting frustrations. While it is a parent presentation, Tuman invites students to join their parents in order to work with both groups. That way, they are able to share concerns and develop solutions to communication problems. This assembly will take place Thursday at 7PM.

It is an honor to have Tuman speak at HHS and a round of applause should be given to the PTO for sponsoring his visit. The Wednesday assembly will be for 11th and 12th graders while the Thursday assembly will be for 9th and 10th graders both starting at 9:30 AM.