HHS student council prepares yearly Winterfest

unnamed (1)By News Editor: Kayla McClain

On Saturday, February 8, Howell High School will be putting on its annual Winterfest Dance for all students from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. It will be set in the commons area in the 10-12 building, and tickets are $10 a person or $15 per couple. This event is run by HHS’s very own junior student council, and member Kaitlyn Rolli has put a lot of time and effort into the dance for all to enjoy.

“As a student council, we have done a lot of communicating to make sure everyone has a part in putting it all together. It definitely isn’t a one or two man job,” Rolli says. “We’ve really worked hard to make this year’s Winterfest stand out from those in recent years.”

While the preparations are dually noted, Rolli takes into consideration of the fact that there is already the popular homecoming and prom during the school year, so not as many students usually attend the overlooked Winterfest. For this reason, some may not think that going to this dance would be any different than the others, but Rolli certainly begs to differ.

“This dance is different than other school dances because we are trying to get the students’ feelings off of it being a ‘couples’ dance, to them feeling like they can come with friends,” Rolli protests. “Whether they have a date or not, [they] still have a great time.”

One reason that Rolli claims for this dance tends to be less appealing is because of where the dance is located. However, student council is still trying to make the best out of it.

“The dance is in the commons this year, and I know a lot of students aren’t a fan of it, but we’re trying our best to change that,” Rolli explains. “[We want] to make it as fun for them as homecoming is in the gym.”

This year’s theme is Winter Wonderland, and decorations correspond with a black and white tie affair. Despite the minor setback of dancing in the commons, Rolli is does not mind and is thrilled to be attending the dance herself.

“I’ve been looking forward to this Winterfest since freshman year when I went to my first one!” Rolli says. “Having such a big part of something for the whole school to enjoy is so exciting, and I can’t wait to see how it all comes together.”

Keep in mind that there are some benefits to spending time at this dance. For instance, even though it is not as fancy as prom, it actually helps to pay for prom. Rolli encourages that it is definitely worth going to because it is not only a night to celebrate with friends or a special someone, but it is even a helpful cause to the school.

“The profit from Winterfest goes towards our prom next year, which is a huge motivation to want to do everything we can as a council to make this dance the best it has been,” Rolly says. “We’ve all worked really hard and are looking forward to seeing our friends and classmates enjoying something we’ve put so much heart and dedication into.”