Opening night for HHS play

By A&E Editor: Madison DeadmanDSC00247-1

Tonight, Friday, March 7 at 7:00 p.m., Howell High School’s cast of Our Town will be sharing their first performance with the community.

Bryce Webster who plays the role of Doc Gibbs describes the show as, “a play about a guy and girl, George and Emily, they end up falling in love with each other while at the same time, Emily has a date with death. Emily and the audience are able to look back on her life and she is filled with disappointment because she didn’t savor every second like she wished she had.”

While conversing to many students involved with the production, I could see how meaningful the show is. Every student spoke about the show with such intense passion and admiration.

“The moral of the story has touched each one of us in a different way. The message is vital to how everyone should live their lives. We shouldn’t take one second for granted. I think it’s not only an enjoyable show but something that everyone should see because it will affect the audience in an extremely positive way,” says Madelyn Hurley (Mrs. Forrester).

“Our Town is much different than many other plays. There is no central conflict. There is nothing the audience is searching to have fixed. The appeal this play has, however, is how it portrays a family’s life. A family’s relationship. And the relationship between two people who are in love with each other. And the impact that love has on the people surrounding them. This play is beautiful in every sense of the word. There’s something for everyone in this play and something for everyone to take away from it. Do people really see how beautiful life is as we live every single second of it?” says Aubrey Mimnaugh (Mrs. Webb).

“The characters in this show are so diverse and unique. Mrs. Malo [drama teacher and director] has given all of us so much freedom when it comes to comes to creating who we want our character to be. Being able to play such an exciting, upbeat, and careless character has been such a great experience,” says Robin Uicker (Mrs. Soames).

“Our Town has been such an experience. The dedication of the cast is unbelievable and Amanda Malo has absolutely put her heart and soul into this show. I’m so very proud to be playing the role of Stage Manager. It’s such a unique role, and Malo has helped me so much with it. The message of the play itself is wonderful. In one of my speeches I say, ‘You’ve got to love life to have life, and you’ve got to have life to love life–it’s what they call a vicious cycle.’ The purpose of the play is to give each and every audience member the chance to realize how beautiful and wonderful life is–every minute of it,” says Maggie Grace (Stage Manager).

This is a show that should not be missed. Our Town is full of great talent, hard work, dedication, and love. With so much emotion put into a show, it is impossible for it to be anything less than awe-inspiring.

Performances are located in the high school auditorium at 1200 W. Grand River Ave., Howell. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for adult. They can be purchased at Howell Parks and Recreation, 925 W. Grand River Ave., Howell, and of course at the doors in the auditorium box office.

Dates and times:

Friday, March 7 at 7:00 p.m.

Saturday, March 8 at 7:00 p.m.

Sunday, March 9 at 2:00 p.m.