Group aims to join Howell Highlanders together

By Staff Writer: Lexi Petroi3D_Team_Leadership_Arrow_Concept

The first day of high school can be a nerve-wracking experience for a freshman student. Walking into a new building, not knowing what to expect, being surrounded with the upperclassmen that know what high school is all about – it can be a challenging and intimidating task. That’s where Leadership’s “LINK Crew” group, led by Leadership teacher, Mr. Aaron Metz, comes into play.

LINK Crew was first formed last year for the 2012-2013 freshman class. It consists of all of the juniors and seniors who are a part of Mr. Metz’s leadership classes. The whole goal for the reasoning behind LINK Crew is to help the freshmen walk into high school feeling more comfortable with the environment and the student body that surrounds them.

“LINK Crew is a way to help the freshman feel more a part of the high school and to make their high school experience enjoyable,” says Mr. Metz.

Since last year, a number of teachers have taken part in the LINK Crew training in order to help the upperclassmen with their training and to make the freshmen’s transition into high school go smoothly.

“The training we underwent for LINK Crew was amazing.  I think the best part of the training was realizing what a significant impact groups like LINK Crew can have on the culture of a school.  Since HHS is so big, it’s so easy for students to feel like they’re not a part of our community and the purpose of LINK Crew is to change that!  We want everyone who enters the Freshman Campus to feel like they are a Highlander and they belong.  Our training showed how that is already happening at schools like North Farmington.  The challenge for us is that our students undergo two important transitions in high school: one from 8th grade to the FC and then another from 9th grade to the 10-12.  I think our LINK Crew can make those transitions much more tolerable and make all of our kids feel like they’re a part of the Highlander family. I’m so excited to be a part of this incredible program,” says Ms. Gabriella DiNatale, a high school English teacher.

On the first day of the 2013-2014 school year, LINK Crew came together and put on their second warm-welcoming pep assembly for the 9th graders. They then grouped up a handful of freshmen with a few Link Leaders that basically “mentored” them on their first day of high school.

As a way to “reconnect” in a sense, LINK Crew made their way to the Freshman Campus on Tuesday, February 25, during 2nd hour, to group up for a second time with the freshman. The upperclassmen had thirty-minutes to play a few games with the freshmen and to talk to them about what kind of changes they want to see in Howell High School to make it a more positive environment for everyone.

“The LINK Crew members were really fun and they weren’t afraid to ask questions. They had us play games like ‘Telephone’ which connects to the rumors that could be spread in high school. All of the games seemed to connect and help with some of the things that happen in high school,” says freshman Brady Schmitz.

Freshman Lilly Burnick says, “They were very positive and helped us connect with our classmates.”

Also, junior Roland Hauck, got an unexpected opportunity to be a part of the Link Crew group as a “freshman student” because his 2nd hour happened to be a class at the FC.

“I liked playing the games because I felt like it helped the kids in the group get to know each other more. I never had LINK Crew as a freshman but I feel like it would’ve helped me transition from being a middle-schooler to a high-schooler,” says Hauck.

“I like how we can go to the FC and help them because I didn’t have that as a freshman. It’s cool to give them advice and show them what it’s like to be in a big campus,” says LINK Crew leader and senior, Tayler Brophy.

LINK Crew wants to spread this positivity throughout Howell High School. They want to be able to carry on the good vibes by being great examples to the freshman and even the sophomore class.
LINK Crew leader and senior, Cody Black, says, “I like that fact knowing you can make a difference in someone else’s experience at school. It feels good at the end of the day. Everyone should at least be positive or do something positive once a day. It just makes the whole atmosphere a lot better to be in.”