Highlanders handout awards for unique skills

Evan Webster, Staff Writer

Talent shows are a way in which students can show their school their unique abilities. Howell High School however is taking a modern twist on the old idea of a talent show. This year on April 27 at 6:30 in the HHS auditorium, Howell is introducing their new idea for a talent show called the Highlander Awards.

“I am so excited for the Highlander Awards because students at Howell have tons of unrecognized talent,” head of senior student council, Ms. Andrea Brady says. “This will honor all those with hidden talents, plus the awards fall on the week of senior survivor, so the survivors will play a role in it which will help raise money for the Children’s Leukemia Foundation of Michigan.”

The Highlander Awards is being organized by all of student council. The awards will focus on student accomplishments. There will be 15 categories, 10 of which are teacher nominated. The other 5 categories will involve talents such as dancing, singing, acting, instrumental music, and any other specialty talents. Admission for the awards will be $5, and all funds raised will go towards the Children’s Leukemia Foundation of Michigan.

The are multiple ways in which a person can be in the Highlander Awards. One can either be nominated by teachers or friends, or they can apply and try out on April 13. The different acts of the show will all be judged by a panel, which will consist of members from each grade of the student council. Senior student council president, Kaitlin Rolli, who has been helping set this event up is excited to see the whole event come together.

“I put a lot of work and dedication into this, along with everyone else, and I hope this will start a new tradition at Howell,” Rolli says. “It is definitely a different way to show our diverse talents at the school and gives everyone a chance to show off their unique skills.”

These awards will recognize a lot of talents that are not often acknowledged.

“The Highlander Awards will recognize a ton of different groups of students, such as best hunter and best artist. There are a lot of other categories too that people would usually overlook,” junior student council leader, Ms. Gabriella DiNatale says.

The student council wants to try and make the first Highlander Awards a success. Students can show their support by attending this event.

“ Everyone should definitely take the time out of their day to come to the Highlander Awards, it will be worth it,” Rolli says .