Ask Abby & Andy: senior shy

Hello students of Howell High! We are super excited to share some news with you. The Howell Main Four will be starting an advice column titled, “Ask Abby and Andy” in which any student can submit a question anonymously for both a male and female member of the staff to answer back, anonymously. Questions can be submitted via writing to the box in the main office or DMed through Twitter.

Q:

Soooo, for the past 2 months, I have been eyeing this senior guy who doesn’t know I exist. I’ve been wanting to say something but I’m very shy and afraid that I will embarrass myself. What should I do?

-Very Scared Sophomore

A:

Dear Very Scared Sophomore,

There is no need to be scared! You might want to try starting a casual conversation with him so he starts to notice that you indeed exist. A simple hello and a smile can give you the confidence you need to talk to the guy you’ve been looking at. It may be a little intimidating since he seems to be a few years older than you are, but that shouldn’t stop you from doing something that you want. Once you overcome the shyness barrier, you will have the courage to start conversation with other guys you may “eye” in the future. And remember, high school is only 4 years of your life, so don’t fret if it doesn’t work out the way you had hoped.

Good luck to you and your future boo thang,

xoxo, Abby

Dear Very Scared Sophomore,

Guys don’t always have to make the first move. Don’t be shy, talk to him. Make him laugh, if you don’t think you’re funny there are many different options. Guys love food, ask him if he would like to go out to dinner! Even if it’s just as friends at first, everything has to start off somewhere. Be careful with the age difference. Two years isn’t too big of a deal, but keep in mind that he will be graduating and you will still be in high school for two more years. Good Luck!

Yours Truly,

Andy