HHS introduces new firefighter program

Picture 7By Staff Writer: Jada Boprie

Although the Howell High School Fire Academy is a class for students, the atmosphere is less like a classroom and more reminiscent of a military training base. The students are ordered to stand at attention and all wear the word “cadet” emblazoned on the back of their navy blue shirts. However, the class is not for producing soldiers, it teaches students how to become firefighters.

The teacher, Tom Kiurski, approves of the intense three hour long class. He says, “It’s designed purposely in a military fashion. It prepares them for the real world.”

Despite being the first course of its kind taught in Michigan, the students are well-equipped.  The warehouse-sized garage holds a wall of firefighting gear and a real fire truck; with enough space left over for the students to strength train. Twice a week, the 26 cadets do exercises like sit-ups and push-ups to ready their bodies for the physically taxing job of a fireman.

The gear used in class is authentic, fire-resistant uniform – down to the bottoms of their steel-plated boots. By the end of the course, the students will be expected to change into the 25 pound uniform in 45 seconds.

Students must also meet physical requirements and dress appropriately for class. Kiurski does daily inspections: cadets must be wearing a black belt and dress shoes, with their shirt tucked in, boys with a clean shave, and girls with only one earring per ear.

Strict expectations are a detail the students seem to take in stride. “It’s a great learning experience. I take it very seriously,” says Michael Darby, who plans on becoming a firefighter after high school. Amanda Wilson, one of only two girls taking the class says, “It’s not at all what I expected. It’s hardcore. But I know I can do just as much as any of the boys can.”

The cadets are all treated the same despite the gender gap. They follow the same rules and learn the same firefighting techniques; which they are planning on demonstrating at an Open House Sept. 27. The Fire Academy is hosting the event for the school board and media to share what they’ve learned and explain what they’ll be accomplishing throughout the year.

Kiurski hopes more students will sign up in the future. The class is a great opportunity for anyone wishing to become a firefighter and teaches students the skills and courage needed to become one.

Kiurki says, “When you’re out in the field, it’s not a democracy. You take orders and you follow them. That’s what we’re preparing the students for.”