Choir prepares for upcoming concert

music-notesBy Staff Writer: Rachel Brauer

For a lot of high school students, they consider choir to be a second home. A place where they can be themselves in an environment where everyone has the same goal and passion: singing. With that in mind, the upcoming choir concert at Howell High School on Thursday, Oct. 24 is sure to be a memorable experience for everyone. Numerous seniors especially express their feelings towards the concert with nostalgia.

“It’s weird because I don’t want to say goodbye. It feels like the beginning of the end,” Keith Hutchins says.

“Well, I’m definitely excited to be a senior and to see how far I’ve come, but I’m going to miss it a lot. I feel like choir has defined me throughout High School, and these concerts are some of my favorite memories. This year, for my final first concert, I’m going to make the best of it!” Paige Jenkins says.

Both Hutchins and Jenkins are in the A cappella choir.

When asked if there was anything different about this concert, Mr. Rodney Bushey, the choir director, responded with the amount of students this year: 378. There are at least 40 more members this school year than the last, which means many new faces trying to get to know each other, and very crowded risers.

“The goal of the first concert is to get people feeling more comfortable,” Mr. Bushey says.

Mr. Bushey ensures this by picking songs he feels are right for the different choirs, but also have meaning and value.

“We don’t sing notes, we sing literature,” Mr. Bushey says.

His choice for diverse eras will be evident in the upcoming event, where there will be songs from the Renaissance, Romantic era, Baroque, and 20th Century Music. Mr. Bushey also selects his music from the great poets, such as Sylvia Plath.

Mr. Bushey always pushes his students to the best of their abilities, and this concert will not fail to disappoint. Not only will this concert have a first impression on the audience, but the director has had a lasting impression on the students.

“I’m really going to miss Mr. Bushey. He’s made a huge impact on me,” Hutchins says.