NMU provides welcoming environment for future students

photo (2)By Feature Editor: Hannah Snyder

Located in Marquette Michigan, Northern Michigan University is one of the most interesting universities in the Midwest. NMU is home to over nine thousand students and has been a public, four year university since 1899.

Deciding on a future career can be one of the hardest decisions a student can make. At NMU, 180 different majors are available along with 120 minors. Being a high school senior who isn’t positive of how I want my future to unfold, NMU provides me with a wide variety of choices to choose from.

NMU understands how important it is to make each and every student feel at home. During a recent tour of the campus, I was lucky enough to view two of the ten residence halls that are located on campus. Just like most colleges, NMU provides students with the option of what type of living environment they’d enjoy. Payne Hall, for example, is considered a quiet, academic-based atmosphere. While Meyland Hall is more open to everyone and full of welcoming students who become very close through bonding activities throughout the year. I noticed that each hall looks roughly the same on the outside so it’s interesting to see the different dynamics  that come along with each one.

If you’re used to having a large, comfortable room at home expect to be disappointed when you move into a dorm room at NMU. The way each display room is arranged makes the space feel small and crowded but I was informed that multiple room options can be created to suit each student’s preference. Typically, a room comes with two beds, desks, chairs, and a dresser to share. To increase the amount of space, the two beds can be turned into lofts or may become attached to create bunk beds. Two dorms are usually shared between a bathroom, but students can also request to live in a single room. The bathroom space isn’t anything extravagant either. However, it is the average size dorm room bathroom and I don’t think it would be hard to adjust to.

NMU doesn’t hold back when it comes to clubs, student organizations, and activities on campus. As of the 2013-2014 school year, there are currently over 300 registered student organizations on campus ranging from academic based, religious to even natural related. The school has something to offer for every student’s interests. NMU also has a student run newspaper, radio show and student government. It was reassuring to know that no matter what my interest was, I would be able to pursue it on campus. To me personally, joining a club or organization seems like the fastest way to make friends on campus who have similar interests as me.

Home of the Wildcats, NMU is a very competitive, involved school that takes pride in their teams. From soccer, hockey, basketball, volleyball, track – almost every sport is offered for athletes. A signature monument at NMU is the Superior Dome. It’s the location for every NMU football game and is the largest wooden dome in the world. While walking throughout campus, the dome can be seen at almost any angle. Although, I don’t picture the 5-10 minute walk to the football stadium being very pleasant during the winter months.

Students planning on attending NMU can expect snow a good majority of the school year.  In the Upper Peninsula, Mother Nature never fails to drop several feet of snow onto the campus during the winter months. The weather is the only downside of the school in my eyes. Since NMU is located right on the coast of Lake Superior, the cold winds coming off of the lake are often felt throughout the year. However, if you can look past and ignore the cold temperatures throughout the year, you’ll notice that the campus is breathtaking. The snow does have a few perks though, it’s not just there to make you feel like an ice cube on your way to class. During the winter, Marquette Mountain is open for students to ski and snowboard during their free time.

If you’re somewhat interested in the campus but aren’t positive it would be the school for you I would recommend signing up to take a walking tour with a current NMU student. It significantly changed my opinion of the school and made me even much more excited to study there in the near future. Traveling a long distance away from home for college may not be ideal for everyone, but for those who are willing to take on the adventure, NMU could potentially be the best choice.