Competitive HHS event returns

Jack-PassionBy Staff Writer: Jada Boprie

Anyone visiting Howell High School in November would find an abundance of hair. Unruly Elvis sideburns, wispy mustaches, and full-on caveman beards will fill the halls. This hairy style is not a trend spreading through the school; it’s a competition for HHS’s second annual No Shave November.

The rules of the competition are simple−don’t shave. Everyone participating must start with a clean shave for fairness. However, once Nov. 1 arrives, razors are down until Nov. 26. Students and teachers can both compete. There is an entrance fee of $1 for students and $5 for teachers.

Anyone wishing to contribute without having to become hairy will get their chance. No Shave November is also a charity event. Students and teachers can both donate money to their favorite participant. These proceeds will go to the Howell Gold Cross organization. This charity is similar to the Red Cross, except it directly supports families and students of Howell Public Schools. Last year, the 15 staff members who participated collected over $700 that went to various local charities.

Donations will not only aid the community. They will also help competitors become victorious. Each dollar donated counts as one vote for that participant, and, along with other votes that will occur later in the month, the person with the most votes wins. The top student and staff winner will each receive a Visa gift card as a prize.

“Everyone had a lot of fun [last year],” says Leadership teacher Mr. Aaron Metz, whose third period class is organizing the event. “It became a badge of honor [for who could grow the most hair] and it’s a great conversation piece.”