HHS honors veterans in annual assembly

rsz_img_1986By News Editor: Kayla McClain

It was Monday, Nov. 11 when Howell High School filled its auditorium with students, teachers, and special guests to join together for the annual Veterans Day assembly. David Finney, an army veteran who also wrote the book Howell from the Images of America Series, gave a speech relating to how Veterans Day came to be, and how all service to the world should be honored.

“We owe all of our veterans a tremendous debt,” Finney said in his speech. “And we can never repay what we truly owe them.”

This assembly took place during the third period of the day, which allowed select classes to set aside their work and pay respects to those who served the country. It began with the HHS choir singing the legendary “National Anthem”, then led to other patriotic performances such as “Taps” played by a member of the school’s band, and “America the Beautiful” sung as a duet by seniors Tori Poloski and Austin Boyd.

rsz_img_2018Veterans were able to sit in the front rows of the auditorium, and Maurice Delisle, who served in the U.S. Navy as an Equipment Operator for the Seabees in Vietnam, was one of them. He has attended this assembly every year for the past four years, and couldn’t have been more thrilled to be there.

“It’s [the assembly] awesome,” Delisle says. “I served for our country, and I’d do it again.”