Academic team preparing for competitions

By Staff Writer: Rachel Brauer

Many only know HHS Spanish teacher Mr. Brian Riordan as “Profe,” and are unaware of the double life he leads as the quiz bowl coach as of ten years. Riordan was inspired to coach the team due to his own participation in Quiz Bowl when he was in high school.

“It was one of the things I knew I wanted to do when I became a teacher,” says Riordan.

Riordan has acquired fact sheets over the years which he uses during practices, which are twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:45-4p.m., as well as participation in scrimmages to help prepare the students. The questions asked aren’t what one would typically think. They cover information learned in school, pop culture, and current events.

Varsity Quiz Bowl member Natalie Jenks comments on the team with great admiration, “I’ve done it since middle school. It’s fun!”

There are two different leagues in which they compete: the Tri-County League, which are the schools south of Ann Arbor, such as Dexter; Home School Connection; Manchester; Saline; Pinckney etc., and the Kensington Lakes Activities Association (KLAA).

The team competes with the Tri-County League at least once a week, and they lost their most recent game on Nov. 13 to the Home School Connection 420 to 200. They play KLAA at least once a month, and won both their most recent games against Hartland and Northville on Nov. 12, which they hosted.

“It’s a pleasure to work with highly motivated students who want to use their learning in a unique way,” says Riordan.