Construction Trades class working to build another home

photo 4By Staff Writer: Rachel Brauer

Howell High School’s construction trades program is a class offered that explores the different aspects of construction, specifically the process of building houses. The homes built are sold by local real estate agents and the money received goes to the following year’s program. The home built throughout the 2012-13 school year was located in the Sundance Meadows subdivision in Marion Township.

This year’s home location is in Byron at 11704 Glenmary Drive. The home is progressing due to the dedication of the students and teachers, Mr. Mark Leahy, Mr. Steve Baker, and Mr. Sean Jones. Currently, the students have the wood framework built and are on track to having the whole house assembled by this coming May.

The class is composed of juniors and seniors, and this year has around 20 students participating. There are not many requirements for the class; students just have to have their own transportation to the work site. Building a home isn’t an easy process by any means. Senior Ryan Hough, who has taken the class for two years, comments on the responsibility and dedication it takes.

“You need the property lines. You need the foundation, which isn’t just digging a hole. It has to be dug to a specific measurement. You gotta do your grade then your footings. Then your basement walls. Then you have to pass inspection by the state. Then you have to pour the basement, cut the frames out, set joists, set gables. Put up walls. Build wall bucks. Frame. Measure. Measure again,” says Hough.

The blueprint of the house was mostly created by Mr.Leahy and Mr.Jones  but the students had a lot of input. The house’s dimensions are 1500 square feet with two floors, two bathrooms, and four to five bedrooms.

The whole process is a group effort. Students with experience help guide new members and the whole class can be looked at as a team.

“Everyone works on a project whether it is shingling the roof or doing the siding,” says senior Austin Riley.

Students put in a lot of their time and effort, like Riley, who goes to the site around noon and sometimes stays there until 4 p.m.

Senior Jamison Brincat also comments on the closeness of the class.

“I’ll speak for all the construction students and say we absolutely love this class and the teachers. We work hard but have lots of fun while doing it. All of the teachers care about our learning and our futures… And the house is coming along great!” says Brincat.