We The People class takes on state competition

we-the-people-e28093-flag-1By Social Media Editor: Cassie Bondie

With a preceding class of students that won state competitions, moved forward to nationals, and even found themselves placing in an intense series of legal debates that took place in Washington D.C., there is little doubt that this year’s We The People class has a lot to live up to.

Their journey begins this Friday, January 10, as they make their way to the Michigan state competition. Schools from across the state will travel to the meeting where students will contest against one another and will discuss national law.

The purpose of the We The People curriculum is to give students interested in law a competitive arena to both learn about the skills involved in America’s complex government and to exhibit those skills in state and national arenas.

“We look at things from the beginning of the forming of our country,” says senior Mikayla Thompson, a member of the team. “For example, the founders and the different documents that helped shape us.”

The class itself is listed a semester long class that is both advanced and requires additional time outside of school hours. Students put in a large amount of studying and preparation before these events. In fact, the very existence of the class as a yearlong curriculum is based entirely upon how well the teams compete.

“The class will only be continuing on into 2nd semester if we win states and go on to nationals,” Thompson explains.

Under direction of a new teacher this year, the class seems to continue thriving and doing well. But the vigorous debates and competitions are not the only benefits to the class structure.

“Personally my favorite part of the class is going more into depth about how our country has progressed both in the government and on an economic standpoint,” adds Thompson. “Hopefully it all pays off.”