HHS hosting practice test to improve ACT scores

By Feature Editor: Hannah Snyder

Standardized tests such as the ACT are considered very challenging for most high school students. However, they are some of the most important tests students will take. High scores could potentially impact college acceptance as well as scholarship opportunities for the future.

On Friday, Feb. 14 Howell High School will once again be hosting an ACT test preparation workshop from 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m..  The workshop will be held in the HHS 10-12 building cafeteria, hosted by Frank Bernier, Ph.D. . Mr. Bernier has been assisting students in college planning for over 30 years and has made a significant difference in generations of youth education.

The workshop is designed to replicate the official ACT test. Because of this, students are required to bring #2 pencils, a calculator, and they may bring a small snack. Along with taking a full length ACT practice test, during the five-hour period students will learn test taking tips, essay writing strategies and learn how to overcome test-taking related anxiety. Once finished, students will receive their test score in an email sent to their parents. This score is a great way to accurately measure how the student will do when it comes time to take the official ACT test.

If any students are interested in attending the workshop there is a $60 fee and registration forms can be picked up in the HHS main office.

Students are highly encouraged to attend this event based on the significant improvement demonstrated in the past. Dr. Bernier’s class is expected to raise ACT test scores up to 8 points.

Ms. Tracy Ash, a HHS English teacher recommends students trying the ACT class for their own benefit. “I was at part of Dr. Bernier’s ACT prep class the last time he was here, and the info he shared with the students was great.  I talked with my students who attended, and they thought it was worth the money.  He gives them strategies for each part, and then they take a section of the test timed using the strategies and work their way through each section,” says Ms. Ash.