Quiz Bowl tournament outcome doesn’t discourage players

By News Editor: Kayla McClain

On Thursday, Feb. 20, Howell High School’s Quiz Bowl team travelled to Ann Arbor to compete in the Tri-County Varsity Tournament. There were the usual eight teams competing in total, but the stakes were slightly higher because it was the last tournament of the season. Mr. Brian Riordan, HHS Quiz Bowl coach, had all good hopes prior to the event.

“The kids have been practicing all year,” Mr. Riordan said previous to the tournament. “There are some really good teams, but we’ve been playing lately, so we have a decent chance [to win].”

During the event, it was a double elimination tournament, so there were potentially four to five games and all different leagues. Howell is in the K-league.

Unfortunately, afterwards Riordan informs that HHS lost two games in a row, and not much occurred from the outcome of the game. That was, until, the cold, ice, and snow caused them to leave the tournament.

“After we lost twice, we just left because of the weather,” Mr. Riordan says.

Despite the mishaps of this game, it does not discourage the team or coach from continuing to participate in future competitions. Mr. Riordan especially enjoys leading the students to their full potential either way.

“I love coaching Quiz Bowl to work with smart kids in different ways,” Mr. Riordan concludes.