Tradition continues at HHS

Senior Survivor 2014 with a new twist

By Staff Writers: Alexis Klask & Kate Bauer

Screen shot 2014-04-24 at 12.38.30 PM

Preceding the week of prom, each year 12 Howell High School seniors participate in the jaw-dropping, nail-biting competition, Senior Survivor. However, this year the class of 2014 was granted to have 14 contestants compete.

Each year, for one week, the chosen students must stay at the school, sleep at the school, eat at the school, and even bathe at the school in order to participate. All compete in a number of challenges in hopes to win the immunity prize for the day, however, the hardest competition of the event is raising enough money.

Charities or causes benefitting in preceding years have been organizations like NAMI and The Zac Cain Fund. This year the Rainbow Connection, which grants wishes for sick and terminally ill children all throughout Michigan, will be the beneficiary. Competitors must raise money each day, and the two students, a boy and a girl, who raise the least amount that day will be “voted off”, or sent home.

The following competitors were asked the following questions: why they wanted to participate in Senior Survivor 2014, what was interesting about them, why they would win over the other students, and what they are most looking forward to.

photo 2Sarilya Barbaro (Black): Barbaro wanted to participate because she wanted to make a difference, and while she is more of a quiet person, she wanted to get herself out there. Barbaro believes she is going to win because she has a decent amount of outside support and is very competitive. She’s looking forward to the overall experience and wants to get close to everyone in the class. Barbaro is the first senior survivor from the Howell Pom team and something interesting about her is that her name is Italian. Final quote: “The Shack’s got Sarilya’s back.”

photo 5
Andrew Bossio (Orange): On the reasoning of why he wanted to participate, Bossio said he wanted to be among the great senior survivors and that he is able to raise a lot of money for a good cause. He feels that he is going to win because not only is he the best looking, but he will raise the most money, for sure. Bossio is looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people, and an interesting fact about him is that he works at the Howell Nature Center. Final quote: “TEAM ORANGE”

photo 3Tanner Damaske (Royal Blue): The reason Damaske wanted to do the competition was that it looked fun to hang out at the school all day and all night. Damaske believes that he will win because he has a lot of friends that can support him (at this stage in the interview, he paused and looked up at his lunch table and meticulously stared them all down while raising his voice) and that he has good skills. Damaske is looking forward to hanging out with people he doesn’t know for a week, and an interesting fact about him is that he is funny and cool. Final quote: “#TheMascot”

photo 3
Jackie Dobbie (Sapphire): Dobbie wanted to compete, because, put simply, it’s a high school tradition. She was never really apart of anything as far as tradition goes and feels this is for a good cause with healthy rivalry. An interesting thing about Dobbie is that she is crazy and has no cares for what people think of her, and she also has great hair and is a fantastic dancer. Dobbie thinks she is going to win because she knows how to get people going and is very loud and spirited. She’s excited to be a part of a “family” for a week and is looking forward getting to know everyone. Final quote: “I am the Mother Dobbie and everyone that buys my shirt is a part of the ‘DobSquad.’”

995415_498203533593836_1015300260_nMarliegh Gerkin (Irish Green): Gerkin has been a fan of Senior Survivor and has been wanting to participate since her brother passed up the opportunity his senior year. Gerkin believes she has what it takes to be the ultimate survivor because she is willing to do whatever it takes to raise more money than the other contestants. She is most looking forward to getting all the grades together and raising money for the Rainbow Connection. Final quote; “Buy my shirts and donate to Team MarGerks! I won’t disappoint!”

148292_426232670776600_1745004848_n

Sydney Healy (Lime Green): Healy wanted to partake in Senior Survivor because it’s something everyone looks forward to as a freshman. Healy has a lot of spirit given that she is a cheerleader for HHS and believes she will win because of that, and because she is a very talented, persuasive talker. She’s looking forward to the overall experience as well as the family of Senior Survivor. An interesting thing about Healy is that she raises money year round for Angelman Syndrome because her 14-year-old brother is diagnosed with it, and she wants to make a difference and find a cure. Final quote: “Lime Green will be the ultimate survivor.”

1383006_678762322135117_428406556_n

Shea Kinder (Violet): Kinder was motivated to join Senior Survivor after a personal experience. After the passing of a friend, she believes she is the most determined to raise money and help support the Rainbow Connection. She is, surprisingly, most looking forward to the food challenge. She believes that after being taught to ‘try everything once’ she will have an advantage over the others. She is also looking forward to hanging out with the seniors she doesn’t really know. Final quote: “Team Kinder all the way.”

photo 4
Karter Maki (Purple): Maki wanted to participate because he knew Senior Survivor would be an experience he would never forget. He believes he is a big supporter of the school and that he will be a contestant who raises the most money for the charity. Maki is most looking forward to getting to know and compete in activities with the other survivors. Final quote: “Team Maki.”

photo 2Zach Noonan (Red): Noonan was driven to join the cast of Senior Survivor because he has a passion for raising money for charity and believes he will provide people the most entertaining route to donating. To get an understanding about what exactly this year’s charity is, Noonan and Dobbie ventured to the Rainbow Connection, which Noonan thinks will give him a leg-up in the competition. He is most looking forward to the entire experience and getting to participate in activities and spend time with the other seniors. Final quote: “Team Attack.”

photo 1

Nathan Pajur (Charcoal): Pajur feels like he is going to win because he is driven to win and will try hard. He wanted to participate because it looked really fun to connect with the class, and the competition isn’t all about winning since the money donated is going to a great cause. Something interesting is that he broke competitor Tanner Damaske’s hand while wrestling. Pajur is most looking forward to a week in the school and a tent in the library. Final quote: “#TeamPajur #DoYouLift #PajurDanger.”

319474_447796871918035_554888003_nKeiffer Roth (Yellow): Roth believes he will take the title of the ultimate survivor because he has more skills and drive than the other contestants. He claims he won’t back down from a challenge and will be able to collect the most money. Roth is most looking forward to staying the night at the school and finally finding out if it is, indeed, haunted. Final quote: “Team Keif.”

photo 1
Vanessa Swain (Sky Blue): Swain is looking forward to the survivor experience because she has wanted to participate for forever. Swain believes she should be supported over the others because of her dedicated support to various sports teams and school events, and the obvious fact that sky blue is the best color. She is most looking forward to getting to know all the other survivors on a more personal level and raising money for the Rainbow Connection. Final quote: “Everyone should hop aboard team Swain Train.”

65251_469909206391352_1192876214_nKathleen Traskos (Pink): Traskos has been waiting to join the Senior Survivor cast since she was a freshman. She loved how everyone looked up to the survivors and had so much fun and knew she wanted to be a part of it all. Traskos believes she will win with the help of her rare skills of being able to raise and lower her cholesterol at will and her rapid pace, which lies somewhere between a snake and a panther. When asked what she was most looking forward to, she replied with Star Wars: Episode 7. Final quote: “Remember, on Wednesdays we wear pink, and by Wednesdays, I mean all week.”

photo 4

Bryce Webster (Maroon): Webster wanted to compete because he loves the school, and while it looks fun, he is excited to make new friends. Webster thinks he will win because he has a lot of different select groups of friends and knows people who will contribute to his bucket. An interesting fact about Webster is that he is completely obsessed with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. He is most looking forward to the challenges because they never know what is coming. Final quote: “Team B-Web or none.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrpA9bNj2g&w=560&h=315]