Accomplished student gets full ride to MSU, Advances in National Merit Scholarship Program

graceBy Staff Writer: Eliza Bengala

This is not the first and last time you will hear from Howell High School senior Grace Katalinich. Katalinich has had a very busy and fulfilling year, maintaining first clarinet chair in the HHS Wind Ensemble band, making 18th clarinet chair in the All State Band, co-first chair in the Eastern Michigan University Honors Band, as well as maintaining her spot as the class of 2014 valedictorian.

Thanks to all of her hard work and accomplishments over the course of her high school career, Katalinich has won the MSU Alumni Distinguished Scholarship, and has advanced to the final stage of the National Merit Scholarship Program. About 15,000 students nationwide advance to the final stage, and 8,000 students will receive the scholarship prize.

“The MSU is a full ride. Tuition, room and board, and $1000 in spending money each year for books and supplies,” says Katalinich. In addition to the full ride scholarship, she has been accepted into the MSU performing arts program, and plans to go there next fall to study concert performance, specifically on the clarinet. 

“I can still have the National Merit [Scholarship] on top of my full ride. It’s $750-$2000 a year, depending on my need.”

As a student, Katalinich sets herself apart through her dedication and knowledge.

“Grace is self-motivated, learns very fast, and will frequently know more about a topic than I do,” says Katalinich’s AP Psychology teacher, Greg Talberg.