NHS: a new year with new plans

By A&E Editor: Madi Deadmannhs

It’s that time of year again where the academically skilled applicants become inducted into the National Honor Society. The introduction ceremony will be held in Howell High School’s auditorium on May 7. A couple days after the ceremony, the first meeting, welcoming all the new incoming members will be held on May 15. This is an important date for it is election day. Some of the 2014-2015 leadership roles have been consumed such as: President: Ashley Quick-Drossart Vice President: Cailin Ferguson Tutoring Coordinator: Kip Rux Public Relations Chairman: Madison Deadman “NHS has been a great experience for me and I am honored to be given the opportunity and excited to help lead NHS next year as Vice President. NHS is a good organization that has helped many in need in this community through the services it helps provide including tutoring, blood drives, and volunteer work,” says Ferguson. However, there are many openings consisting of: Recording Secretary: This position is essential to NHS running smoothly. They keep track of everyone’s community service hours (every member must achieve 15 per semester.) This officer must be extremely organized and able to frequently communicate with Mr. Duane Millar, NHS’s faculty advisor. Corresponding Secretary: This role must check in with the faculty advisor everyday to make sure there all information needed for the newsletter is correct and updated. They create and send to all the member’s e-mail addresses. Treasurer: This person should have mathematical abilities to count and keep track of the organization’s finances and come up with creative fundraising ideas to bring in money. There are also non-elected chairman positions: Chairperson of Conservation Committee: They are responsible for the Annual Swan Lake Cleanup and the Lifegarden project, Chairperson of Social Committee: They arrange the summer barbecue and social events during the year. “We’re a really great organization with really great kids that do really great things around the community. These kids work hard to be a part of this group. It truly is an honor. With this upcoming year, we hope to try some new things and get more recognition for how fantastic we are!” Exclaims Millar. National Honor Society has contributed at many different events in the community to make things a little easier and less stressful. They helped at the robotics competition, Emergency Responders Event, elementary school functions, Recycle Livingston, and many more. Their main focuses are the blood drives with American Red Cross and their tutoring sessions in which they teach student at the high school and at Highlander Way Middle School. Next year, they plan to expand to Parker Middle School. Also, this is not a decided factor, but there are high hopes for some members to step forward to create a Brainstorming Committee. Their initiative would be to connect with the United Way and find a way that NHS can collaborate with them and make them a main focal point as well. For more information, contact NHS’s faculty Advisor, Mr. Duane Millar, in room L-8.