Students discuss whether there is an age limit on trick or treating

Elaina McClellan, Sports Editor

With Halloween approaching fast, kids our age are faced with that tough decision whether or not to trick or treat. Halloween is usually represented as a night for all the young kids to dress up and trudge around the neighborhood begging for candy. But what happens after that certain age when Halloween becomes an idea of “child play”? What happens to that need for an adventure in the dark October night? Many would believe that Halloween is a holiday for kids and once a certain age is hit, you are deemed too old to trick or treat. But others still cling to their youth and show off their costumes each year in hopes of receiving treats.

Those who believe this time should be reserved for children see an age limit as the determining factor. When someone is the only person in the neighborhood, college age, and is going door to door asking for candy, that may be a good time to hang up the costume.

“I think it’s okay for older kids to still trick or treat as long as they wear a good costume, are appropriate, and respect the little kids on Halloween. Once you’re out of high school, I definitely think it’s time to stop.” senior Cailin Ferguson says.

Others would argue that this night of both candy and costumes should be enjoyed by all ages for as long as the trick or treater desires.

“I don’t think there should be an age limit for trick or treating. It’s like bowling, an event for all ages! People generally stop after awhile anyways, so I think they can fade out on their own. I personally still trick or treat myself, it’s fun seeing all the new creative costumes and getting free candy!” senior Valerie Burch says.

But there is still a third opinion that firmly believes it should only be young children trick or treating. No exceptions with age.

“I personally haven’t gone trick or treating since like sixth grade. Fifth grade should be the limit because really you can just go get candy whenever you want.” senior Karsyn Nau says.

Whether or not people see an age limit on those participating in trick or treating, there are other ways to get involved. For example, Halloween isn’t just about the mad rush around the neighborhood to get candy. People can visit the many corn mazes and haunted houses that are also a part of the Halloween season. Then there’s distributing the candy. There is no age limit to give out candy and, just perhaps, make a trick or treater’s night with a smile and some sweets.