Drive out hunger with the food drive

Lindsey Saba, News Editor

It’s that time of year, Highlanders–the leaves have fallen, the weather has turned crisp, the daylight has shortened, and Thanksgiving is fast approaching.

For some families, however, this season brings more worry than thanks: money is short, and stomachs are empty.

This means that it is once again time for the annual Howell High School food drive.

As always, any non-perishable food such as canned or dried goods will be accepted, but there have been some changes as well.

New this year, Mr. Olszewski’s Marketing II class, led by Mackinzie Baad, is the organizing force behind the drive, and they have partnered with Gleaners’ Drive Out Hunger program.

“We’re just hopeful to help families in need, especially during the holiday season,” says Mr. Olszewski.

All of the food will stay local, going to households in the Livingston County area.

“Bottom line, we are just trying to get as much food as we can for families,” says Mr. Olszewski.

Donations will be accepted from Nov. 10 to Nov. 21, but, this year, contributions are not to be taken to classrooms.

“We will have boxes strategically placed in the commons and upstairs,” says Mr. Olszewski.

“Strategically” placing the boxes is key, as Baad knows that high school students have failed to donate in past years.

“All day, before school, after school, as the doors are open,” says Baad, HHS students will be able to donate—if they choose to help.

Baad and Mr. Olszewski know that, with the assistance of their fellow Highlanders, this season could be exponentially brightened for many local families by the Drive Out Hunger program.

“Donate, ‘cause it’s for a great cause,” says Baad. “You might know one of these families; you might have been one of these families.”