Championship win for HHS bowling team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Championship win for HHS bowling team

A.J. Firsht, Staff Writer

On Sunday, Feb. 22, the Howell High School Boys JV Bowling Team won their first JV High School Bowling Championship. The team had an incredible season which included a team record of 11-1 in the KLAA West Division and 14-1 in the KLAA Conference.

“This has been one of the best times of my life. I really enjoyed bowling with some of my best friends. They always are supportive of everything we do. Also I loved the relaxed atmosphere because we as a team never got too overwhelmed,” JV Bowler David Golm says.

The team this year had four new players. During the season the team had one goal and that was trying to improve on their game and working on fine detailing their craft. with long hours of practice, they worked on picking up spares and having a good time while doing it.

“We practiced two days a week for about an hour and a half each day we didnt have meets. Than when we have meets, they would run late into the night. Also when we had Saturday meets we had wake up very early in the morning to bowl all day. It was fun but the amount of work that you need to put in to compete is tough,” Golm says.

Also this year the boys JV team add a new coach this year Dave LaFollette. LaFollette has had a lot of experience in coaching the Howell Boys Bowling team. This year, LaFollette decided to go down to the JV level to coach a new generation of bowlers. The team also speaks very highly of him because of his coaching experience and skills when it comes to the art of bowling.

“Having coached the Varsity Boys last year to a fourth place at states, I felt that the same course of action regarding to our JV Boys to success,” LaFollete says.

To go along with the outstanding display of talent during the JV High School Bowling Championship, two Howell High School students Aaron Hoskins and Cameron Rickel both made it into the top 32 bowlers at the tournament.

“This whole experience was one that I will never forget. I started off the day kind of slow. After that I told my team that I need to have a good game or else i’m done. Then I ended up getting the scores I need to qualify for the top 32. I was super proud of myself because finished 23rd out of 150 plus blowers,” Rickel says.

With the bowling team’s past triumph, they expect to do well in the future in hopes of another championship.  

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Arts and Entertainment

Don’t sweat the SAT

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Sports

Main Four March Madness predictions

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Feature

Singing Valentines of 2019

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Arts and Entertainment

Lego Movie 2- How Well Does It Piece Together?

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

News

Ted Talks come to the Rod Bushey Performing Arts Center

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Arts and Entertainment

“Fahrenheit 11/9”: Michael Moore Strikes Back

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Sports

Michigan and Michigan State 2018 Bowl Games

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Feature

Teachers of Howell High: creating countless Christmas memories

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Opinion

Has Christmas lost its meaning

• Championship win for HHS bowling team

Arts and Entertainment

Giving back to the community

Championship win for HHS bowling team