Howell Football off to a promising start despite recent loss

FBBy Staff Writer: James Edwards

While the autumn air fluctuates from cool to warm, the Howell High School football team is playing in mid-season form. The Howell Highlander boys football team started off the season with a 3-1 start, with wins over Sterling Heights Stevenson, Livonia Franklin, and the always pesky Hartland Eagles. The Highlanders are currently ranked 25th in the state and are rocking and rolling behind the arm, and leg, of senior quarterback Darren Ford.

“I love playing quarterback and kicking, plus I’m also a running quarterback and it really just gives the defense a different look,” says Ford.

The boys of fall cruised to a 27-0 win over the Sterling Heights Stevenson Titans on the road to start off the season. The Titans were heavily favored but Howell played tight defense and Ford passed really well, while sophomore Evan Siemen had a huge game. “Darren was on point for the whole game and he just really put me in a good spot to score all night,” says Siemen.

After the big win, Howell returned to their home field, backed by the famous Highlander student section, to beat Livonia Franklin 35-6. The game really was in Howell’s hands after the kickoff when the Highlanders forced a fumble and eventually scored. Howell kept the heat on all night as they cruised to an easy win.

The Hartland-Howell rivalry, nicknamed the M-59 series, always proves to put on a great show. With fans of both schools showing up in great numbers despite the cold, the Howell students sported a neon-themed section, with the Hartland students wearing white. It was such a close battle all night, with both sides trading punches. After some tough defense and great special-teams play, Howell held the Eagles back for a 14-12 win.

Howell has cruised through the first part of the season and is looking for a playoff berth for the second consecutive year.

Unfortunately, Howell lost to the Pinckney Pirates 20-10 on Friday, September 20, giving the Highlanders their first blemish on the schedule. Pinckney’s quarterback, Buck West had a career night, as he ran and threw the ball well all night against a tough Highlander defense. Howell was down 20-3 going into the fourth quarter but ended up scoring another touchdown to spark a comeback .However the Pirates’ defense intercepted a Ford pass in the end zone to seal the win.

“We have played well so far this year we just have to keep it going,” says Ford.