HHS swim team wins invitational

photoBy Staff Writer: Kate Bauer

Howell High School’s women’s varsity swim and dive team started the season with a splash as they swam their way to victory at the annual Kenzie Klassic Invitational at Parker Middle School on August 24. Finishing with a final score of 309, the team took down the four other competing schools and claimed their first victory of the season.

Every year, the Howell varsity swim and dive team host the Kenzie Klassic in memory of Mackenzie Watts, a former team member and Howell High School Student. The team looks forward to the event every year, as it brings both the new and previous teammates together.

Although the invitational is meant to be fun for all, the swimmers became anxious as the day arrived.

“I was a bit nervous going into the meet,” says team captain Shea Kinder, a HHS senior. “We had some pretty tough competition this year and we had only had ten days of practice before the meet.”

Turns out the ten days of hard work paid off as the team posed for a picture with their first place trophy.

“We had a good meet,” says co-captain Melanie Soenksen, a senior at HHS. “Now we have to focus on out next goals which are getting some of our girls to the MISCA [Michigan Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association] and state meets.”