Highlanders prepare for annual Spirit Week

Spirit_weekBy Sports Editor: Danielle Hamilton

It’s coming up to that time of the year where school spirit is celebrated with several time-honored events. Homecoming is a huge week for not only the football players and the band, but for the entire student body.

This year, Spirit Week prior to the Homecoming game and dance will begin on Monday, September 30 and conclude on Friday, October 4. The following is the dress-up schedule:

Monday: Hat/pajama day

Tuesday: Neon day

Wednesday: Color day

Thursday: Beach/Hawaiian day

Friday: Green and gold day

For color day on Wednesday, each grade is given their own color to wear in accordance with the powder puff team colors. Freshmen are blue, sophomores are white, juniors are pink, and seniors are black.

For each day, keep in mind that all spirit wear must be school appropriate and hats cannot be distracting. You may be asked to remove your spirit wear or change if it is not appropriate.

A group of students in the third hour Leadership class are given the credit for coming up with these days and planning what will happen around the school during this week.

“We put a lot of thought into Spirit Week and we are pretty excited for it,” says senior Blake Libke, one of the students in charge of the festivities.

Each day of Spirit Week in first hour, Libke and other students will be coming to all of the classes and counting how many students are participating in the day. At the end of the week, which ever first hour has the most points will receive a reward. The teacher with the most spirit will receive a reward as well.