HHS senior makes all state band

graceBy Staff Writer: Jada Boprie

Grace Katalinich, senior at Howell High School, can add the Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association (or MSBOA) to her already impressive resume. After auditioning, she placed 18th out of literally hundreds of other clarinet players for a seat in the band.

The auditioning process is extensive and includes playing a piece of music the association chooses, scales, and sight reading, which means only having a few minutes to learn a piece of music. Katalinich has auditioned for the band before, but this is her first time landing a spot in it.

“I prepared really well this time,” she says.

There will be a Michigan Music Conference in January in which the band Katalinich is a part of, and other ensembles, will play. It will take place over a weekend while the bands learn how to play their music as one to prepare for the conference. Despite the fact that Katalinich doesn’t know anyone else who is in the band, she’s looking forward to meeting the other musicians.

“I’m excited to be able to work with people that are really good at their instruments,” she says.

Katalinich, who plans on pursuing music in college, remains down-to-earth about her accomplishment.

“What really matters is your audition [in college]. This won’t get me all the way but it’s a step,” she says.