Howell varsity hockey to play their rivals in a new venue

icehockeyBy Sports Editor: Danielle Hamilton

Winter classics, a hockey game played outdoors on a football or baseball field, have been a traditional game for the NHL (National Hockey League) since 2008. Ice is put down on the field and fans flood the stadium seats for this event. The Howell varsity hockey team will be playing in their own winter classic game this season. This game will be held at Comerica Park in Detroit.

On December 19 at 7 p.m., the Highlanders will be playing their neighbors and rivals, the Brighton Bulldogs, for this special event. The Bulldogs were state champions for Class A last year in hockey; the competitive spirit of this night will be at a high.

For this Thursday night game, there will be a fan bus available to HHS students.  The cost is five dollars at the time you sign up (during all lunches) and refunds will only be given if not enough students sign up (65 students are needed in order for the bus to go).  The bus will depart from Howell High School just before 5 p.m. the night of the game and return between 10 p.m. and 10:30 p.m..

“I think it’s awesome that we have been given the opportunity to go out and participate in the game’s tradition of playing outdoors. What really makes it awesome is playing against our rival, Brighton. It will be a great experience for all of us: the team, parents, fans, and school as whole. I think it will have a major positive impact on the program at Howell,” says senior hockey player Alex Egan.

This winter classic game, along with many other games played outdoors by other high school teams and college teams, will lead up to the Detroit Red Wings’ winter classic game. The Red Wings will be playing against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Howell versus Brighton is always a huge game, no matter where it is played, but being involved and connected with a professional hockey team’s winter classic game adds to the intensity.

“My mindset for this game won’t change. Just like every other game this season, it’s a regular season matchup. Physically, it might be a little different depending on the weather. I will go into this with a will to win, but also have fun at this once in a lifetime opportunity,” says Egan.