NCAA football bowl recap

ncaa-football-logoBy Sports Writer: Travis Waker

The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Bowl season ended on Monday, January 6 with the BCS National Championship Game. Number one ranked Florida State took on number two ranked Auburn. The game was a thrilling 34-31 victory for Florida State.  Auburn surprised everyone by beating Alabama on a last-second kickoff return to earn a chance to play Florida State. Florida State quarterback and Heisman winner Jameis Winston went 20-35, passing for 237 yards and two touchdowns.

“The game was a lot closer than I thought it was going to be. I thought Florida State was going to blow out Auburn,” says HHS senior James Edwards.

Number four Michigan State played number five Stanford in the Rose Bowl and won 24-20, finishing off a 13-1 season for head coach Mark Dantonio. Quarterback Conner Cook went 22-36 for 332 yards and two touchdowns.

The University of Michigan played in the Buffalo Wild Wing Bowl and was beaten badly by Kansas 31-14. Backup quarterback Shane Morris filled in for the injured Devin Gardner and went 24-38 for 196 yards. Morris did not throw a touchdown. Michigan has already fired former offensive coordinator Al Bourjous and they have already hired former Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmier.

Nussmier is known for helping collegiate quarterbacks develop. Most recently, he helped Alabama’s quarterback AJ McCarron to two national titles under head coach Nick Saban. McCarron is known as one of the best quarterbacks in the country and is a frontrunner in next year’s NFL draft. Concern has arisen because Nussmier ran a very different offense for Alabama in the SEC conference. Now with his transfer to the Big Ten Conference, Nussmier is expected to help returning senior Devin Gardner develop, as well as helping Michigan’s up and coming starter at quarterback, sophomore Shane Morris.

“I think Nussmier will help out Michigan a lot. They will come back next year be good again,” says senior Alex Duffy.

With Michigan State being the defending Rose Bowl Champions and a very different looking Michigan team, the Big Ten is expected to be a very competitive conference next season.