Mid-season review: Bowling

By Staff Writer: James Edwardsbowling_graphic

The Howell High School boys bowling squad is off to a great start. They are giving every team a run for their money if not winning just about every meet that they have been involved in. They are led by their all-state and Wichita State University commit Jack Herndel.

If one bowler on the squad falls behind during match play, you can bet one of the senior bowlers will be there to pick him up. When their opponents see them on their schedule, they know they are going to be competing against one of the best teams in the state and Howell knows they are about to get everything that these schools have planned for them.

“We are off to a great start but now comes the time in the season where everyone is getting better, and all the schools are gunning for us,” says head coach Dave LaFollette, acknowledging the fact that Howell will have a target on their back for the rest of the year.

Though the boys’ squad is off to a stunning start, coach LaFollette is always quick to direct credit to those around him, including his assistant coaches Kevin Noon, Gary Brown, and Ryan Hughes.

“They have all done a great job of teaching our athletes and getting them up to speed for the season,” says LaFollette.

Howell has sole possession of first place in the KLAA West, posting an undefeated record. They have five tough meets left before the state tournament begins. They will be bowling in Howell on January 30, and then they proceed to their meets in Waterford, South Lyon, Novi, and Hartland. The KLAA championship marks the beginning of the state tournament and that will be held at Grand Blanc Lanes on February 14.

“Hopefully we’re up to the challenge and can bring home another division title,” says LaFollette.