Senior connects with peers, inspires others

Day poses for a photo in the lobby of the high school theatre.

By Social Media Editor: Cassie Bondie

In high school, students learn quickly that it isn’t easy to stand out for the right reasons instead of the wrong ones. We spend the main four years of our lives fighting to be noticed, appreciated, and accepted by our fellow classmates and teachers, while attempting to hide all of the traits and quirks that make us unique. Even at Howell High School, there are students that fail to accomplish this daunting task, graduating with the fear that they did not do enough to leave a legacy behind them.

Other times, there are gifted teenagers who manage to become role models and respected members of our class without even trying. They sift effortlessly through the secondary education system, inspiring their peers to look at the world differently and, in essence, becoming the very thing that many students are striving to become.

David Day is one of these gifted teens.

“He always has the best things to say,” says junior Liliana Fleming of Day. “He accepts you, and he’s kind to everyone.”

A member of A Cappella, Highlander Chorale, Calamity, and Advanced Drama, senior David Day keeps up with a busy schedule, often catching sleep whenever he can find the time. Passionate about music, Day is also a member of the local band Paths, and has performed the national anthem at Ford Field twice. He is a self-taught guitarist and pianist, spending much of his free time composing original music.

All of his accomplishments, however, are not the most interesting thing about Day. What stands out about this teen is his ability to inspire, motivate, and help others.

“He always wants to do what’s right for other people,” says junior Cara Green. “He is such a caring and intelligent person, always finding a way to connect with someone. He’s a very empathetic person.”

Intelligence is another capturing element that Day possesses. Most students are content with taking advanced high school classes, and occasionally taking part in an extra-curricular activity, going home at the end of the day and leaving the thoughts and work back at school.

Day has taken college classes through LCC for several years, and often brings thoughts and concepts from his day back home with him.

“I’d say between all of it, I am most passionate about having time for personal reflection and being able to meditate on thoughts and feelings,” explains Day. “If you don’t do it regularly, you are going to forget who you are.”

It seems more and more exciting achievements are taking place for David Day. His band, recent winners of a music video competition, is releasing its new EP on April 25 at the Howell Opera House from 5:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Also, Day recently joined the U.S. Army, and will leave in July to start his basic training in the hopes of becoming a helicopter mechanic.

“I appreciate being alive and having the ability to look at a brick wall and see all of the details…or to see the wind blow through the grass…to experience life as it is,” says Day. “Not everyone has that opportunity, so why would I waste it?”