Dedication to sport pays off for Howell baseball player

Edwards_(640x426)3By Sports Editor: Danielle Hamilton

Hard work and hustle are qualities that many coaches tend to look for in athletes. Senior James Edwards possesses both of these qualities and shows it every day.

Before moving to Howell just before his freshman year, he lived in Ypsilanti where he played baseball, basketball, and football. Edwards played football for the Howell freshman team but did not continue after his freshman year. He played both defensive and offensive line. Baseball is the only sport that he has stuck with and been passionate about.

“I came from a big baseball family. I started playing baseball when I was four-years-old and have been playing it ever since,” says Edwards.

Edwards is a three-year varsity baseball player and is a captain this year. At the end of his freshman year, he was pulled up to varsity for the playoffs as well. Last season, Edwards made first team All-District and second team All-County.
“I think James is a great captain. He works really hard in both games and practices, and always hustles. He runs out every ground ball and fly ball hard and sets a good example,” says senior teammate Alex Duffy.

Edwards is mainly a pitcher and catcher. He also plays first base and third base. In the lineup, Edwards is usually in the third, fourth, or fifth spot.

The past two years, the Howell varsity baseball team has made it to the final four in the state playoffs. This year, Edwards is hoping to help lead his team to a state championship.

“This year we got off to a slow start, but I have no doubt in my mind that we will get back on track. We have the talent to do big things,” says Edwards.

The Highlanders won the Shelander tournament on Saturday, May 3, which is a tournament between the teams in the county. Howell beat Brighton in the championship 18-2 and are now four-time defending champions. Edwards caught for junior Chris Ackerman in the championship game and hit well throughout the day, going 4-9 with two RBIs.

Edwards’ father is an assistant coach for the Howell varsity baseball team. He has helped out the team for the past few years that they have lived in Howell.

“It’s pretty cool having my dad as one of my coaches. It just makes our relationship that much better,” says Edwards.

Few athletes have the opportunity to go on after high school and continue their sport in college. Edwards is one of the few. He will be playing baseball in college at Cleary University where he will pursue business.

“I’m excited to play baseball in college. It will be a great experience and a ton of fun. I’m grateful for this opportunity,” says Edwards.

When Edwards is not on the field, he is often in the weight room working out or putting in work at indoor baseball facilities. He pushes himself as well as his teammates.

Many of Edwards’ teammates are also his close friends. Baseball has helped him form bonds with people that he will have for a very long time.

“Baseball has done so much for me. I love everything about the sport. I can’t imagine not playing it,” says Edwards.