Junior captain finds passion in sport of running

unnamedBy Staff Writer: James Edwards

Track teams are the size of small communities, so keeping order at practice and at meets is a task that demands more than just one person. Cal Laituri may only be a junior and in his second full season on the high school track team, but his presence has made an immediate impact on those around him.

Laituri was named by his coaches as one of three captains on the varsity team. “I like being named a captain especially since I’m only a junior this year and not a senior,” says Laituri. “It shows that my coaches know how seriously I take this sport and I like being in charge of things,” says Laituri.

Laituri has not always been a track runner; he has tried his luck in many other sports including baseball and basketball. He decided to take a hiatus from running during middle school to attempt these sports. Despite being very talented in each of these sports, Laituri knew that his favorite activities including running, and a lot of it. He returned to track during his sophomore year, and finished up his first season of cross country in the fall.

“I knew that once I got back into running that it was the sport that I was the most passionate about and one that I could be the most productive in,” says Laituri.

Being a captain in track, especially at Howell, is quite a task. At many other schools, there are several coaches who are always around to help younger runners get to where they need to be before the meet begins. At Howell High, there is only one coach for the boys team and one for the girls team, so the role of the captains increases that much more.

“As soon as we get to the meets, (the team) is very organized, so there is no confusion,” says Laituri.

The junior got his start for running in sixth grade, when some of his friends, who were in seventh grade at the time, persuaded him to go out for the track and cross country teams, from that point on, Laituri fell in love with the two sports.

Laituri has plans for his future in track and cross country, including coming back for his senior campaigns, hoping to be a captain in both sports. He has also garnered interest from some college programs, including Davenport University, Southern Illinois University, and Siena Heights University.

Some facts about Laituri:

• Favorite TV show: The Office

• Music on his iPod: Schoolboy Q, Drake, Mumford & Sons

• Last book he read: Miracle in the Andes

• Favorite food: “I have to go with Bdubs of course,” says Laituri with a laugh.