“We The People” to participate in district hearing

Stock Photo of the Consitution of the United States and Feather QuillBy Social Media Editor: Cassie Bondie

Howell High School’s “We The People” class is back from their previous wins as a new group and is already looking for practice opportunities to prepare them for state competition.

The group will be taking part in a district hearing on Tuesday, November 12 in the administration section of the Freshman Campus. The class will be competing in six units, each with a different focus. Every unit will be given three questions and will have to answer each one in four minutes. The judges at the event are expected to be local lawyers, judges, and law enforcement officials who are familiar with the territory of the Constitution.

“I’ve learned so much,” says Kaitlynn Cortez, a senior who is part of the unit focused solely on the Bill of Rights. “It’s really interesting the things that you don’t learn…rights that you didn’t know you had.”

The “We The People” class, which is now run by a new teacher, Ms. Kristine Shantry, helps teach students more about the basics of the United States Constitution and focuses on many of the skills associated with becoming a lawyer or judge.

“It’s new for everyone this year,” Cortez adds. “We miss Mr. O, but Ms. Shantry has stepped up to the plate and it’s going great so far.”