Old rivals meet in baseball, softball doubleheader

By Staff Writer: Travis Waker Baseball_(crop)

In the first game of the softball double header against Brighton on April 23, Howell junior Alaina McClellan  got the start at pitcher. The first inning was rough with McClellan allowing some walks.  Brighton scored one run, but the Highlanders responded with several hits, including a two-run homerun by junior Blessings Amitunai in the first inning. Blessings played softball at Brighton before moving to Howell this past year.

“It was cool to see Blessings do so well against her former team. I’m really proud of her. She’s been doing awesome for us so far and I can’t wait to see what else she will do this season,” says senior captain Danielle Hamilton.

McClellan got back on track in the second inning and shut down Brighton until the seventh inning when they got two runs. The final score of the game was 10-3.

Howell beat Brighton 8-1 in the second game. Sophomore Erin Utter started on the mound. Both pitchers pitched complete games and did very well.

Senior Melissa Bazany hit a three-run triple in one of the games and had other key hits as well.

“Up and down the lineup people came through with big hits. Both games were a huge team effort and everyone contributed in some way. It was a fun night,” says Hamilton.

Howell is currently first in the KLAA West. The Lady Highlanders split with Hartland on April 9, beat Walled Lake Western on April 21, Brighton twice, and Waterford Mott on April 28. They also beat Pinckney in an out of league game early on in the season. Their current record is 6-1.

In baseball the same day, Howell split their double header with Brighton. In the first game captain James Edwards got the start on the mound and then Howell got two runs in the bottom of the first. The first scored on a groundout from right fielder Darren Ford. The second run scoring on a RBI single from designated hitter Jordan Leyder. In the top of the second, however, Brighton pitcher Alexx Zielinski, who struggled in the first inning, shut Howell down the rest of the way. Brighton then scored on a Howell error in the top of the fourth. Brighton ended up winning the first game 3-2.

In the nightcap, senior Alex Duffy started on the mound for Howell. Poor fielding by Brighton led to five errors in the game. Brighton took the lead in the first but second baseman Riley Bennett hit a two-run single in the second, capitalizing on two Brighton errors. Zielinski drove in yet another run for Brighton in the fourth. Howell took the lead in the bottom of the inning on a single by centerfielder Brendan Merians. This was a lead that Howell would not give up, winning the second game 3-2 and earning a split.

“Two good baseball games,” Howell head coach Jason Ladd said, “they’re a good baseball club and to get a win against them is big.”

Howell sits fourth in the KLAA West division with a 6-9 record. The Howell baseball and softball teams will match up next with Grand Blanc on Wednesday, April 30.