Howell alumni: Kayla Dillon

Kayla Dillon graduated in 2009. She has a bachelor’s degree in social work and is working towards her master’s degree at Eastern Michigan University. Dillon works at LACASA, a nonprofit organization that helps victims of abuse as the head Youth Prevention Educator. She is also involved with the LACASA Teen Advisory Program. Dillon coaches the color guard and baton twirlers for the Howell High School Marching Band. She is also a national baton twirler coach.

Kathleen Isenegger, Kyra Moen and Lindsey Saba, A&E Editor, Staff Writer and News Editor

What classes at Howell High School were beneficial to you?

I always had impeccable English teachers and every program at Howell prepared me to be successful in college. The most influential classes were band classes for [my] performing arts.

What teachers significantly helped you?

Jason Smigell is a brilliant educator and mentor to his students. [Ryan] Carriere was wonderful. [Kristine] Shantry had a significant influence on how I see U.S. government and helped form my viewpoints [for] my social work.

What connections did Howell High School help you form in your field?

When LACASA came to my health class I really took the information to heart and it pushed me  to educate youth.

What is your favorite memory from Howell High School?

Going to band camp, meeting many amazing people, and performing with the marching band.

What advice do you have for current Highlanders?

Strive for excellence in high school, but don’t be afraid to start off in a community or local college. One of my counselors in high school talked to me about going to community college first, then switching; I ended up more successful. Howell High School has a great atmosphere, students, and programs. Take time to get involved with their positivity-promoting extracurriculars and make lasting friendships.

“I loved my time at Howell High School. I’m about to get married and move into a new house and we chose Howell because we feel the Howell School District will give our [future] children a good future.”