Seniors experience memorable night despite loss

photo (1)By Sports Editor: Danielle Hamilton

The final home game of the regular season for varsity sports is bittersweet. For most, this game will be the last time the seniors will ever compete on their home court or field. Senior Night takes place on this night to highlight and honor their journeys.

Howell varsity volleyball’s Senior Night took place on Thursday, October 10. Each senior received a speech from an underclassman on the team. This year’s seniors are Elizabeth Niemi, Raquel Lentine, Angela Harrington, and Karen Sidge.

The underclassmen made posters for each senior as well. They also gave them gifts and celebrated with cake.

“They are all great players and they always kept us motivated on the court. We will miss them a lot next year,” says junior Erin Hamilton.

The team played the Grand Blanc Bobcats on their special night. The Highlanders fell to the Bobcats in three sets out of five, resulting in a game loss.

At every home game of the season, varsity volleyball has had a student section. The students made posters for the seniors on this night to support them. The seniors also went and threw shirts to those in the student section.

This season has been quite different than what was expected coming into it. Unfortunately, they have not won a game yet. The team has been competitive though, and have taken many games into the fifth set.

“Even though we may not have had the most successful season, we all played as one and our great team chemistry really showed out on the court,” says Niemi.

Next week, the volleyball team will travel to Pinckney for their final game of the regular season. After that, they will have a couple weeks of practice until the playoffs begin in November.

“I think everyone has learned lessons from this season that we will be able to use in the future to make us better players. Each girl on this team has helped make this season one to remember,” says Niemi.